Monday, March 5, 2018

Music!

One thing that really gets me excited about this project is the opportunity to try my hand at film scoring! I've been playing instruments for a long time, and within the last year, I've been trying my hand at music composition in Garageband! Plus, I decided this year to take Music Theory Honors, which has helped me learn more about the theory behind composition.


I chose to use synths and electronic distortion because I found that it was common in the science fiction genres, and this is apparent in the most iconic of science fiction scores. Alexa and I also wanted to use synths because we wanted to pull inspiration from the scores of the Netflix show Stranger Things, the FX show Legion, and the film Ex Machina.

My first draft, made back in early December, I feel would work great as an underlying theme or motif. I think it would work well in the opening, as the opening text appears.




My second version, I created because I wanted something more punchy to use at the climax of the film. I hope that the punchier synth with add to the suspense of the final act, and the intention of the end of this version is that it will tie into the visuals of the falling action.



I hope that the music will just be one element of many that tie this piece together. Along with the cinematography and story, the music is meant to contribute to the emotion of the film. I hope when all the elements come together, Alexa and I create something that leaves the audience wowed.


3 comments: