Sunday, March 25, 2018

The Cosmic Void or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love After Effects

Before it even came time to talk about blue screens and rotoscoping, I first had to experiment to see if our vision of the Cosmic Void could be created with the tools I have at hand. I recently came into possession of After Effects, only once trying it out in order to track text onto a background.

Clueless, I found myself looking towards YouTube for an answer to my problem: How does one actually use Adobe After Effects.

Luckily, I found this video, a tutorial someone made on how to make a portal for their short film. I happened to like how the insides of their portal looked, and I figured I could adapt the technique for our own vision of the endless space abyss that would appear outside of the house.

the portal from the video tutorial I was using
I adjusted the settings, adding keyframes and motion until I got something that I was happy with. (Consulting with Alexa along the way.) Then I exported the file (which I humbly had to look up another tutorial for) and dragged it into my Loop 1 Final Cut Pro X project file. There I felt more comfortable adjusting the color, setting the highlights and mid tones to different shades of blue and purple, adding strange noise to the image and adding highlights until Alexa and I were happy.


our finished* void! ^

*of course more adjustments are bound to happen

No comments:

Post a Comment