Wednesday, March 7, 2018

The Wagon (part 1)


When looking at what Alexa and I need to buy, one of the first problems that arose is: we don't have that much money to spend on this project. I was looking on Amazon, to purchase the liquid latex and bald cap needed for The Monster, and I found myself browsing the wagons. One of the most important props in this piece is the wagon; Alexa and I had planned to get lucky and find an old wagon at a local thrift store, but I wasn't too hopeful. Therefore, I sat scrolling through the wagons on Amazon, sorting by "Price Low to High", not ecstatic about what I saw.





And, the wagon that was in our budget, we felt was way too small.



So we were left with two options: hope that a thrift store in the area has a wagon that meets our needs/vision, or make our own.

I really didn't think we were going to find a wagon at any thrift store nearby, so I began to research d.i.y. options.

Wikihow's answer was not very helpful, it was too complicated and not enough like what we initially envisioned. However, several websites later I found the blog Rain on a Tin Roof, which gave instructions on how to make a wagon out of a crate and PVC pipe. This wasn't quite what we wanted either but it was a step in the right direction. It was enough of a step that I thought, "I probably have some materials in my house, why don't I try to look around see what I can find." And then I thought, "I do have some stuff maybe I can get something started." And then I thought:



I'm lucky that my house is just filled with random, useful, trash (though isn't everything just useful trash). I happened to have an old base with wheels, some old plastic drawers from a storage thing my family was about to get rid of, and some PVC pipes from an old marshmallow launcher my brother made years ago in Boy Scouts.


the wheely base with the drawers

dismantled the marshmallow launcher
my dad helping me cut a piece of PVC pipe


wagon handle!

It took me 31 minutes to make this work of art =)
(sorry for the vertical video and also please ignore my little feet!)


The next step in the process is to reinforce the duct-taped areas of the PVC tape and then... paint! Alexa is super excited to paint it, as am I!


No comments:

Post a Comment